Warm Spinach and McIntosh Apple Salad with Bacon
* 4 thick bacon slices
* 1 small red onion, sliced
* 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* Salt and pepper
* 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach, rinsed, patted dry and torn into bite-size pieces
* 1 McIntosh apple, cored and sliced thinly
In a skillet set over moderate heat cook the bacon until it is crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towel and let it drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet.
Add the onion to the skillet and cook it, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until it is wilted. Add the vinegar, mustard, sugar and salt and pepper, to taste and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring. In a serving bowl combine the spinach and apple. Add the hot dressing and toss to combine and serve.
Courtesy of Michele Urvater, foodnetwork.com